Galileo Galilei, Italian astronomer and physicist, 1564-1642
“If the sun with all those planets moving around it can ripen the smallest bunch of grapes as if it has nothing else to do, why then should I doubt His power?”
Sir James Jeans, British astronomer, physicist, and mathematician, 1877-1946
– said that as he looked out into the cosmos, the more he examined the vast expanses of space and the tremendous complexity of these things, the more the universe seemed to be one gigantic thought of a pure mathematician.
La Place, one of the greatest astronomers
– said that the proof in favor of an intelligent God as the author of creation stood as infinity to one against any other hypothesis of ultimate causation; that it was infinitely more probable that a set of writing implements thrown promiscuously against parchment would produce a composition of Homer’s Iliad, than that creation was originated by any other cause than God.
“Last week after years of study and calculation, two respected California astronomers, Allan Sandage and James Gunn, made separate but similar announcements: ‘The universe will continue to expand forever.’ “
Dr. Allan Sandage and Dr. James Gunn, of Hale Observatories
– Using Mount Palomar’s 200″ telescope, after fifteen years of painstaking calculation and observations, revealed the conclusion of their findings, after withholding them for years because they were so much in conflict with the theory of evolution. They were measuring the red shift of all the galaxies they could measure. They came out and had to say that all their observations and data indicated that the universe will continue to expand forever. It will never come back upon itself. There is no scientific law to ever bring it to pass. There is no indication of any slowdown of any of the galaxies as they have been examined.
Dr. James Gunn
“The arguments for a closed universe are almost theological in nature.”
– Therefore these two researchers expect many of their fellow astronomers will rise up howling because of their conclusions.
“This explanation is such a strange conclusion…one’s first assumption is that it cannot really be true, and yet it is the premier fact.”
The Big Bang Theory, presented originally by Georges Lemaitre
– which was the idea that the universe is expanding. Like when you toss a grenade in the air and it explodes and you take a slow motion picture of it and each little piece is a galaxy flying out in all different directions. When you look through the telescopes, the red shift of light indicates, they believe, that star galaxies are receding from us and everything is getting farther away. Therefore, they conclude, the universe is exploding. When this theory first came out, some Christians said, “Aha, that means it had a beginning.” But this is not the way the theory explained things, because the originators of this idea postulated not that the universe had a beginning, but that all the matter in the universe would concentrate back into the original mass from which it exploded. Before that, there was simply another universe which had been condensing into a ball which exploded, and finally it began to contract again and it exploded and went on oscillating back and forth. So there was an eternal universe.
Sir Cecil Wakeley, one of the world’s leading scientists whose credentials are ratherimpressive: KBE, CB, LLD, MCD, Doctor of Science, FRCS and past president of the Royal College of Surgeons of Great Britain
“Scripture is quite definite that God created the world, and I for one believe that to be fact – not fiction.”
Robert Jastrow, director of Nasa Goddard Institute for Space Studies, an outspoken self-acclaimed agnostic
“The details differ but the essential elements in the astronomical and biblical accounts of Genesis are the same.”